Wednesday, November 28, 2012

J.A Redmerski, The Edge Of Never - Review.


Twenty-year-old Camryn Bennett had always been one to think out-of-the-box, who knew she wanted something more in life than following the same repetitive patterns and growing old with the same repetitive life story. And she thought that her life was going in the right direction until everything fell apart.

Determined not to dwell on the negative and push forward, Camryn is set to move in with her best friend and plans to start a new job. But after an unexpected night at the hottest club in downtown Raleigh, North Carolina, she makes the ultimate decision to leave the only life she’s ever known, far behind.

With a purse, a cell phone and a small bag with a few necessities, Camryn, with absolutely no direction or purpose boards a Greyhound bus alone and sets out to find herself. What she finds is a guy named Andrew Parrish, someone not so very different from her and who harbors his own dark secrets. But Camryn swore never to let down her walls again. And she vowed never to fall in love.

But with Andrew, Camryn finds herself doing a lot of things she never thought she’d do. He shows her what it’s really like to live out-of-the-box and to give in to her deepest, darkest desires. On their sporadic road-trip he becomes the center of her exciting and daring new life, pulling love and lust and emotion out of her in ways she never imagined possible. But will Andrew’s dark secret push them inseparably together, or tear them completely apart?

Wow, I am not even sure where to start with this book I am completely blown away in the best way possible, this book was pure genius I didn't want to put it down and I never wanted it to end. I think J.A Redmerski deserves a huge round of applause and possibly some half naked men fanning her with palm leaves.

This book was everything you could possibly want and more, I think i felt a huge spectrum of emotions to the extent at one point I will literally blubbering like a baby and had to cuddle up to my pillow. I love a book that can make you feel and drags you into the story and takes you to a place you have never been before.

Don't do what I did and start the book at 11pm at night because once you start the book it is impossible to put down, who cares that I had a lecture early the next day because I didn't, I had to stay up with that book and find out everything it had to offer. If it wasn't for the fact that my eyes where closing I could have easily read this book again straight after and it is already back on my tbr list.

Many people have said this book started off a a little slow and there is a divided opinion on whether this is a good or a bad thing, personally I loved it it gave it depth and you fully got to know the characters and see their development. It wasn't a rushed story that you felt moved to fast, it had the perfect pace in keeping with the theme of the story.

“What compels any of us to do the things we do when deep down a part of us just wants to break free from it all?”

This book is told in the point of view from both Cam and Andrew which is perfect because they both have issues to deal with and it is great to read their inner monologue and really get to know them as individuals.

We start off with Cam's POV and you can see that she has just had enough of everything she needs a break, a clean start without the consent reminders and pressure she is getting from her family and friends. No one seems to be able to get what she is going through, and her journey is about self discovery and the need to find a purpose; something that is worth getting up for everyday. Little does she know that the purpose is a person, Andrew.

After the death of her boyfriend and continued nagging and pressure Cam decides to jump on a bus to the land of potatoes, well Idaho, she starts her journey. Unsure about where she wants to end up or what she is doing she becomes content just enjoying the adventure that unfolds.

“Have you ever wondered what it would be like to backpack across the world?”
“Just you and a backpack with a few necessities. No bills. No getting up at the same time every morning to go to a job you hate. Just you and the world out ahead of you. You never know what the next day is going to bring, who you’ll meet, what you’ll have for lunch or where you might sleep.”
Andrew is struggling with te pending death of his father and learning to deal with his emotions, he is a kind and genuine guy who feels the need to fiercely protect Cam on her journey, Jumping on a bus with no real purpose seems a little crazy to him but he goes along with it and eventually becomes someone Cam can rely on.

"She wasn't shy to tell me to turn my music down, with a snippy-ass attitude at that. She got pissed when i accused her of having Beiber Fever (it pisses me off that I even know what the fuck that means-I blame that on society) and I get the feeling that she would have no problem kicking me in the nuts if I touched her in an inappropriate way. Not that I would. Hell no. But it's good to know that she's the type.
Hell yeah, I like this girl."

The shows an emotional journey about love, acceptance and finding your way in the world. It is a beautiful story that is told perfectly, I honestly see no faults and would say this is one of my favourite reads this year. I love the relationship between Cam and Andrew it is magical, in most books it can feel as though 'love' happens too fast, but not here if anything you find yourself screaming at the pages 'kiss her already!'.

“I think when you fall in love, like true love, its love for life. All the rest is just experiences and delusions.”

If i could I would scream from the top of the rooftops and tell everyone they need this book in there life, it doesn't matter what genre you like this book will appeal to it. It is real and sexy and overall dynamic and clever. If I wore a hat I would take it off in Honor of J.A Redmerski, let's just say she has gained a huge fan and I cannot wait to get my claws on more of her work.

"I was taking the long road and Camryn was taking the road to nowhere and it just so happens that they led to the same place." ~~ Andrew

There have been many peoples asking if this book has a happy ending but i am going to leave that for you to read for yourselves, trust me it will be a worthwhile adventure. Yes this book has amazing parts, funny parts, sexy parts and heartbreaking parts but that is what makes this a great book.

"Just that dwelling and planning is bullshit," he says. "You dwell on the past, you can’t move forward. Spend too much time planning for the future and you just push yourself backwards, or you stay stagnant in the same place all your life." His eyes lock on mine. “Live in the moment,” he says as if making a serious point, “where everything is just right, take your time and limit your bad memories and you’ll get wherever it is you’re going a lot faster and with less bumps in the road along the way."

This book deserves a rare 6/5 stars.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Thank you so much for that wonderful review, Fern! (I LOVE your name, by the way) I am so happy that you loved going on Camryn and Andrew's journey - it means so much to me! :-)

    ReplyDelete